I’m not a milk tea lover but fatal incident happened last week was alarming. The girl customer and the owner of Ergo Cha Milk Tea House died last Friday because of milk tea. However, the boy who first tasted milk tea has been admitted in the hospital.
The Department of Health coordinated with the Food and Drug Administration and toxicologists from University of the Philippines – Philippine General Hospital for the investigation. And the preliminary investigation found no trace of toxic substance like cyanide, nitrite, nitrate and arsenic from the sample. Because of this, they have expanded the investigation and will test oxalic acid (from preservatives), Nitrobenzene (found in dye), Organophosphate (from pesticides) and lead substance.
According to the report, the girl victim experienced retching, dizziness, loss of consciousness, twitching of extremities, and pallor, which happened three minutes after intake.
The owner of the shop who prepared the milk tea, tasted the tea and three minutes after he drank the milk tea, he experienced weakness, loss of consciousness, and generalized tonic-clonic convulsion.
The boy who first tasted the milk tea experienced fast breathing, chest tightness, weakness of extremities, and carpopedal spasm seven minutes after he sipped the tea.
Initial signs and symptoms of poisoning according to DOH are vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, impaired or loss of consciousness.
Always remember that poisoning is deadly, so no matter the level of poisoning, DOH said the victim should be brought to the nearest hospital right away. They also mentioned what happened was an isolated case of food poisoning so there’s no reason for milk tea lovers to stop drinking this beverage.